Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Melissa - Home Decor Christmas Gift

Good morning, Melissa here on this beautiful day down south!  This week is all about Christmas gifts, so I made this home decor piece with a $5 frame that I purchased from The Warehouse.  Sequins are so trendy in the crafting world right now, so I knew I wanted to feature them!  Here is the frame in our lounge, amongst our other Christmas treasures:


The following photos show how I made it, step-by-step.


1. First up I selected a large wood veneer star, and covered it with gold glitter using Glossy Accents.



2. I just love this patterned paper from Heidi Swapp's Believe Collection called Pepermint Stix.  I cut it to size, and then placed double sided adhesive around the edge.  


3. In order to really make the sequins pop I needed to tone down the paper so I layered some vellum over the top.  I made sure that the adhesive would be hidden inside the edge of the frame.


4. Being a bit of a perfectionist meant that I wasn't too keen on free-handing the sequins, so I made this tree template and traced around it with a pencil.


5. The final step was to glue the sequins down with Glossy Accents, making sure that I erased the pencil lines as I went up the tree. I used sequins from Teresa Collins.



And here is a close up of the finished frame.  I contemplated adding a trunk, and a word with letter stickers like American Crafts Thickers, but I decided I love the simplicity of it just like this.  I love how the gold sequins shimmer and shine!

Don't forget to play along with our Christmas challenges!

Have a great day
Melissa x

No comments:

Post a Comment