Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Design Team Introduction - Beck Caithness

We are excited to introduce our new Design Team over the course of the next few days. Please head to the blog to see the official team announcement and read to the bottom of this post to find out how you can win a share of $150 worth of celebratory prizes!

Today we welcome Beck Caithness



Hi ladies!  My name is Beck, and I am super-excited to be here!  Now, I have two handsome boys here with me, that I'd like you to meet... hubby Darryl and son Jacob.  These guys are often the subject matter in a lot of my scrapbooking, so I thought I'd best introduce you :)




Now, just like Lisa and Lydia before me, Liz has given me a Q&A to do, so that you can get to know a bit more about me, and my crafting style.  So why not grab a cuppa, and settle in for a bit... even those of you that know me might learn something new?  Ok girls, here we go...

How were you introduced to papercrafting?

I started scrapbooking in earnest after my hubby and I had our first proper holiday in Australia, back in late 2000.  While we were away I kept all of our ticket stubs, receipts, brochures and souvenirs, and took HEAPS of photos (and they weren’t digital ones back then either!).  I found a cute little album and some travel papers and stickers in a craft shop in Maroochydore… and once we got home, the obsession began!

Now, back then, there just wasn’t the amazing range of choice that we have today, so of course the obsession is a bit harder to control nowadays!  (and hence the reason why our spare bedroom is now my craft room, thanks honey).

 

Here's a typical ''boy'' layout. Another snapshot of life in the Caithness household, hanging out at the car racing and having a bit of fun. Chipboard, metal embellies and a bit of dimensional magic to finish...

What type of papercrafts do you enjoy?

I like to have a go at most things, to be honest.  I prefer to do 12x12” layouts, and the occasional card, but I have done a few Kaisercraft Beyond The Page items too…
 
One of my favourites is this Advent Calendar.  I wanted it to be Christmassy, but not in the traditional red and green way.  It had to be more ‘ME’.  So, of course, it's pink and green and sparkly with disco balls and lights!  Our family is one of those families that covers the house with lights each Christmas, so my Advent Calendar HAD to have lights!  Each year we try to take a new photo to display in it...




What inspires you for layouts, projects, cards?


I take inspiration from all sorts of things…I love to sit down with a cup of tea and a craft mag, I love to surf the net for inspiration, and sometimes, well... sometimes the ideas just pop into my head…  To be honest, some of my best crafting mojo comes when I am immersed in a crafting atmosphere, like at crop days or scrap camps.  I think it is the relaxed atmosphere that does it.

What is your favourite craft brand and why?

Prima, Prima, Prima!  (Whoops, was that enthusiastic enough for you?!)  I just LOVE their use of colour, texture and style.  They always produce top quality products that co-ordinate beautifully, and make crafting so easy.  They kind-of scrap themselves!

Here’s a layout I completed for my Design Team audition, using Prima products.  The boy in the photo is my son Jacob (taken a few years ago), and he’s sitting with my maternal grandparents (his great-grandparents), both of whom are still with us today.  I love the fact that he has such a special bond with them.  Not everyone has great-grandparents to spend time with, so he is a very lucky boy.




What scrapbooking tools/products can you not do without?

Well, my Cropper Hopper always contains black and brown Staz-On ink, an aqua-brush, my Fiskars snips, glue, double-sided tape, and double-sided foam, at the very least.  When I am scrapping at home, I use my sewing machine and my Silhouette Cameo (electronic die cutting machine) all the time on my pages.

What is your current favourite technique or embellishment?

For me, I can’t go past sewing on a page or card… yes, SEWING!  It adds a layer of embellishment without being too bulky or intrusive, and it’s something that not everyone does.  Don’t be scared of sewing on a page… it doesn't hurt, I promise!  And let's be honest, if you mess it up, it's really only cost you the price of a piece of paper, so be brave and give it a try!!! (You can blame me if it doesn't work... I have broad shoulders)


What do you hope to try or improve on this year?

Yikes, this is a tough question!  Hmm, let me think...  I intend to scrap a bit more, blog a LOT more, and make a few more scrapbooking and papercrafting friends.  That should be do-able, right?  :)



What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy papercrafting?

Give it a go, keep it up, just do it!
 
I find that beginners can be put off by crop days where people are there with bags and bags of product and equipment, and they all seem to know each other already.  I have heard people say more than once ‘I’m not good enough to come to a crop day’.  My answer to that?  “RUBBISH!” 

The honest truth is that we were all beginners once, and the only reason we know each other is because we are there, doing it!  Scrappers are great people – a really friendly bunch, always happy to lend a hand (or some piece of fandangled equipment) should the need arise.  If you like the idea of paper crafting, you are bound to LOVE the reality.  Give it a go.  Come and say hi, I’d love to meet you.

Well, I look forward to spending the next year with you and all of the other talented ladies that make up the Artfull Crafts team. Catch you again soon, Becks :)  

HOW TO WIN PRIZES!!

All competitions below close on midnight Saturday 24th August.

  • Head to our Gallery, scroll along the hallway, click on the portraits and welcome the girls. Comment on any projects that you LOVE! (Each comment puts you in a draw to win a $50 prize pack).

  • Follow the Artfull Crafts Blog and follow the girls on their personal blogs. Leave us a message (on Facebook or email) letting us know you've started following, and we'll put you in a draw to win a $20 gift voucher).
1) How many cats are lazing around down the Gallery?
2) Name someone who was on last year's team, who is staying on for another year.
3) Name the person whose style most closely matches yours.


  • Finally, head to Saturday's blogpost and say goodbye to the team we are farewelling. (Each comment put you in a draw to win another $50 prize pack.)
Have a fun time checking out the new team, and don't forget to share the New Design Team blog link on your Facebook Page!

No comments:

Post a Comment