Monday, August 26, 2013

Betsy - DT Introduction

Good morning all - Betsy here this morning.



Really, I don't feel it's necessary to do an introduction, as most of you will know me by now, but better do as requested!
Liz at Arfull Crafts is very long suffering, as she has now installed me, for another year, as part of the Design Team for 2013-2014. It has been a real privilege to be part of this amazing group since 2010 and I really look forward to this next year. Just trust, by God's grace, I can keep up with these young ones! Liz has named me the "Grandma" of the group and I do take my responsibilities seriously!
I have lived with my very supportive husband for just on 50 years ( a big celebration in March, 2014) hence I will leave you to guess my age! God has blessed us with three lovely daughters and a very special son, all married and they have given us ten delightful grand children.

How were you introduced to paper crafting?
Once upon a time, many years ago, I went to a rubber stamping class and was hooked, even though I thought, at the time, it was just for kids. My, haven't things progressed since then, in the paper crafting world!!


This is a male card that I made for an order - you will notice Eddie is a soccer fan. No bling on this one!
Check In collection from Kaisercraft was used.

What type of paper crafting do you enjoy?
Card making of course - I love the fact that I can complete a project quickly then move on to the next one. Doing personalized cards, for orders, are favourites, as I do enjoy suiting them to the recipient.

What inspires you for making cards?
It is great what the old brain can come up with, all by itself, at times! I will receive a collection or papers and spend some considerable time just looking at it, so as to get ideas.Of course, there are some very talented ladies out in blogworld, and then Pinterest is an added  bonus - must say I do enjoy spending time reviewing these, for ideas and inspiration.



I do love making unusual shaped cards - step cards are always a favourite. Another special collection from Kaisercraft called Pickled Pear.

What is your favourite craft brand and why?
Kaisercraft, Kaisercraft, Kaisercraft. Could I say otherwise? Yes, I so enjoy working with their collections which seem to just get better and better. I am one of the fortunate ones who get a preview, months ahead, as to what is being released for the next quarter. Actually, I design the cards for the upcoming Workshop Magazines, which I have now been doing for a number of years, and so enjoy it. Another favourite brand would have to be Graphic45 - just love the aged, vintage look of their collections, but the list could go on, as I have an addiction to ALL papers, as well as patchwork fabrics!



As you will notice, I do occasionally take little detours,  getting out of my comfort zone. This tea light lantern is one of these - it is quite gorgeous when lit.

What tools can you not do without?
My patchwork square and rotary cutter (I am a patchworker first and foremost),but these two tools are definitely a must when paper crafting - they are used all the time. Martha Stewart score board, punches, dies, Ebosser etc. My workroom is choker with what I CANNOT DO WITHOUT!



Another one of Kaisercraft's gorgeous collections called 75 Cents, and notice the stitching on this card, also the sponging with sepia ink.

What is your currant favourite technique or embellishment?
Using my sewing machine for stitching, sepia inking the edges and generally lots of ribbon, flowers and bling.
Masculine cards I do find more of a challenge but it is amazing how one can manage.

What do you hope to try and improve this year?
I just pray that God will give me the ability to continue doing what I so love, which is having contact with like minded ladies and tutoring classes, sharing a little of what I can. The computer and my brain are not really very compatible, so it would be great to increase knowledge, on that front!



This easel card was made with one of my favourite dies - mind you ,I'm addicted to dies as well!!

What advice can you give to people just beginning to enjoy paper  crafting?
Speaking from experience, once you start down this road, you are hooked. Also speaking from experience, the bank account suffers severely, as my husband would confirm! Oh well, I am still so thankful I discovered this amazing hobby (more than a hobby, a full time job now!!) many years ago. My advice would be to visit or contact Artfull Crafts, the staff are amazing and so helpful and they stock all one needs for your paper crafting and more. Just go for it ladies, you appreciate this hobby the older you get, again speaking from experience!!

Do you have a blog?
Yes ladies I do, and you can find me here at Best of Betsy's.

Afraid,  I am having problems with my photo uploading so you may have to click on the photos for a clearer image. It's time Graham and Lizzie came out for another meal, as I need Graham's computer expertise, AGAIN!!

Happy crafting to you all and many blessings,

Betsy.


2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Betsy. We couldn't do without you. I love seing your creations in Kaisercraft's magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thrilled to have you back!

    ReplyDelete