Saturday, March 31, 2012

Sandy - Echo Park Wedding Smashbook


Hi everyone, Sandy here ! I'm sharing my last Echo Park project today. It's a DYI Wedding Smashbook using supplies from three Echo Park collections : Yours Truely, For the Record and Be Mine.


My homemade smashbook measures 5.5"x 4". It has 18 inside pages plus a front and back cover.  Each double page spread has a photo or word prompt to record events relating to a wedding.


For example this page could be used to capture memories of the wedding registration. Other pages focus on the wedding venue, wedding flowers or the honeymoon. 


When starting a 'big' project I find it helpful to decide early on the colour palette. In this case I limited myself to red, black, white and grey. That allows me to organize my supplies quickly.


I find that repeating layout elements gives my Smashbook pages a coordinated look. Here I stuck to the principle of dividing my double pages into four panels.


On some spreads, as in these honeymoon pages, they are divided equally along horizontal bands. On others they are divided vertically into unequal portions.


I used a range of pattern papers to provide variety. Geometrics like houndstooth, polka dots and closely printed text were used. Organic designs like repeating florals and swirly flourished added to the contrast.


Stickers are great for adding instant interest to a page. Don't limit yourself to small images and labels, large ones which dominate a spread can impart great impact when used boldly.     


As for the construction of the book, it couldn't be simpler. I cut cardstock into two 5.5"x8" spreads, fold each spread in half and glue the backs together.


If you wish to take a closer look, my smashbook is on display in the store together with other Echo Park projects from the design team. Hope you've enjoyed our Centre Stage focus on Echo Park this month and don't forget to check back tomorrow for exciting April news !



Echo Park Supplies : Yours Truely (Newsprint, Rose Blossom, Journaling Cards, Cherished, Elements Sticker, Black Cardstock), For the Record (Alpha Sticker, Element Sticker, Noteworthy, Borders, Stamp of Approval, Vintage Linen, Advertisement, Table Cloth, Newsprint, Red Cardstock), Be Mine (Journal Cards, French Chronicle, Element Sticker, Alpha Sticker, Grey Cardstock)

7 comments:

  1. wow Sandys projects are ALWAYS so awesome...I love this..such a fun design and love that amazing paper..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a gorgeous little book, thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous Sandy! Love the way you have used all the collections! Hope you have submitted this to Echo Park too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous Sandy, just love the colour palette and how you have coordinated all the pages!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stunning! I want to make one... just dont kow how to go abt it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome Sandy - LOVE it. You're colours are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone, especially Lowri for the EP reminder.

    Dita you can pop down to the store where I'm sure they'll be happy to show you the book and walk you through the how-to. It's a breeze to make.

    ReplyDelete